Its not too often that I get to make “extra special” breakfasts, not only due to time constraints but because my family usually likes to keep their breakfast within the pancake/waffle/egg & meat realm.
Holidays and company are the exception. I then get to try some of the “fancier” recipes I have been holding onto (and looking forward to trying!) With this holiday season fast approaching, I can’t wait to try some new ones!
One of my favorite things to make on those occasions is a Strata. You can add so many different things to them, the possibilities are almost endless, and you can prepare them the day before, let sit overnight in the fridge and just pop them into the oven in the morning.
This is my favorite of all of the strata I have tried so far. It has so many veggies in it such as zucchini, mushrooms, onions and bell peppers, as well as ham that you don’t feel so guilty about all of the cheese (well kinda…). It is so yummy!
As a plus, I think you hit just about all of the food groups, how could you go wrong?
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups day old bread, cubed
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, sauté mushrooms, zucchini, ham, onions, peppers and garlic in oil until veggies are tender.
- Drain and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and half & half until smooth.
- Beat in eggs.
- Stir in the bread, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture.
- Pour into a 9 x13 baking dish coated in nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.